Do the Plan


At about this time of the year most of us are beginning to reflet on the goals we had for the past season of running. I had been excited to use a systematic plan for the first time this last year. It helped me run faster and more efficiently than ever, getting a best time in my marathon to boot (3:35)!

Because I want to run about 20 minutes faster next year, I'm in the heat of evaluation. While checking for room to improve, and accessing how I did at implementing it I've noticed that the plan was great, but I didn't always do a good job of executing it. The 5-6 time a week runs were hard for my non-runner background to keep up with in a summer of travel and a newborn. Good plan, but probably not the best one for me. I need something that will kick me into gear, but have a certain amount of flexibility and non-running activities to stave off boredom.

While coming down the finish line of my September marathon, I was also finishing up Bob Fryling's "The Leadership Ellipse". I ended the book with a lot of it highlighted and noted. Reading books is often like being mentored by someone for a time, so I try to listen to whatever my mentors are trying to say to me. Bob talked about the importance of having a Rule of Life that he lives by and reflects on regularly. The Rule of Life is something I was familiar with from my interest in Benedictine Monks and their communities. I knew it was something I had always needed, but had failed to follow through with.

The irony has slapped me silly. I had systematically followed a highly regimented plan to achieve my running goals, but I had been to spiritually uninspired to follow through on a Rule of Life. Success in one area of goal setting gives you some guts to set goals in another. Fresh off reaching my marathon and half-marathon goals, I moved towards creating a Rule of Life. Like my marathon plan, it will guide me, correct me, and move me when I don't feel like moving. Also, similar to the Hanson Plan's inability to make me a better runner, the Rule of Life won't make me a better Christian. However, it is putting me in a good spot where it will be more and more difficult for my love for God, His Word, His People, and His Purposes to not grow each season.



Comments

  1. Good stuff. I love it. I need to get into a plan for running too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Love Running on the Weekend

Cheating